Monday, July 4, 2011

Happy Independence Day

Gust Brogreen's Declaration of Intention

Gust Borgreen's Certificate of Citizenship

What would it take for me to leave my home country and start a new life in a strange place where I didn't even speak the language. This concept is so foreign to me. I feel so fortunate that my ancestors all had the same notion. They all came here seeking something better, and if they didn't find that better thing for themselves, they certainly provided a better life for their children, grandchildren and great grandchildren. Where they thinking that far ahead? Or where they just trying to eek out the best life they could at that moment? The most recent immigrant in our family is my own husband. He moved here from Hong Kong in the early 80's to go to school and he never left. What would my life be if he hadn't had the notion to come here?
Sometimes we take for granted all the wonderful things the USA has to offer. By looking through the eyes of an immigrant we can truly see how fortunate we are. Happy 4th of July and God Bless the USA.

No comments:

Post a Comment