Saturday, December 18, 2010

My Favorite Spot

This is my spot at the local public library. I spend as much time there as possible looking at microfilm and utilizing all the other resources available to me in the Heritage Room. I order my microfilm from the interlibrary loan program and wait, like a kid at Christmas, for the email to come to my inbox. "Your item is ready for pick up". Then I rush down to the library at the first opportunity and while away the hours searching and researching to my heart's content.

Today I spent a few hours looking through the Great Falls Tribune from June 1932. I was actually looking for a death notice for my maternal great-great grandma, but came up empty on that. Instead and unexpectedly, I found a notice that my paternal great grandpa had been released from the hospital on 15 June 1932. I have his death certificate that states 3 Sep. 1932 as his date of death. He had cancer. I hadn't expected to find him in the paper but was happy that I was able to walk away with something of interest to add to my files.
I've ordered more film from the State Library for the death dates of each of my great grandparents. Now I just wait for my notice to come. Merry Christmas to me.

1 comment:

  1. We really must talk. My husband's family are all from Montana. I spend a lot of time researching there and visiting my son in Missoula.

    One of your photographs looks so familiar. I'll go back and look through some of my things.

    Many of my little research projects are done on ShadesOfTheDeparted.com. I just did a post about twins up for adoption from Anaconda in Twice Told Tuesday.

    Welcome aboard and if I can be of any assistance let me know.

    -fM

    ReplyDelete