Sunday, March 6, 2011

March 6 - Describe an heirloom you may have inherited from a female ancestor (wedding ring or other jewelry, china, clothing, etc.) If you don't have any, then write about a specific object you remember from your mother or grandmother, or aunt (a scarf, a hat, cooking utensil, furniture, etc.)



Prayer book of Johanna "Jennie" (Felt) Borgreen

Inside cover of Jennie Borgreen's prayer book
Jennie Borgreen's prayer book 
This little prayer book was given to me last year, by my mother. I can't read a word written in it, as it's entirely in Swedish, but I treasure it none-the-less. I also use this book several times a year. I'm an historical
re-enactor and one of my "characters" is a woman who lived in my community from 1870-1919. She was the second school teacher here and started the first Sunday school. She was instrumental in the founding of the Episcopal church and her husband became the first mayor of our town and served many years as a judge. This prayer book serves as a prop for my reenacting and as long as no one asks to see it close up, my secret is safe.
I hope that Great Grandma Borgreen would be happy to know that her little prayer book was still being used and appreciated and that from time to time it was getting out into the world and serving a new purpose, rather than languishing in a drawer or box in some dark corner.

1 comment: